Thursday, November 30, 2017

Matthew 25:31-46

31 “Picture this. The Ultimate Human comes as the radiant King surrounded by his angels. He takes his seat on the glorious throne. 32 All the nations of the world assemble before him to hear his verdict. He starts to separate them from each other in the same way that a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He sends the sheep to the place of honor on his right side. However, he directs the goats to his left.

34 “Then the king declares to those on his right, ‘Congratulations, my Father favors you. Receive the kingdom that was put on reserve for you even before the first day of creation. 35 For when I was hungry, you gave me food. When I was thirsty, you gave me a drink. When I was a stranger, you welcomed me. 36 When I was naked, you clothed me. When I was sick, you cared for me. And then when I was in prison, you visited me there.’

37 “Then those righteous sheep reply to the king, ‘Lord, we can’t remember feeding you or giving you a drink. 38 When did we welcome you -- or clothe you? 39 And when did we care for you during sickness or visit you in prison?’ 40 “Then the king replies to them, ‘You may not realize it, but this is the truth, when you did those things for even one of my needy brothers and sisters, you were doing it for me.’

41 “Then the king declares to the goats on his left, ‘Get out of here. I’ll have nothing to do with you doomed lechers. Go to... the unending fire that has been reserved for the devil and his demons.

42 “For when I was hungry, you turned away and walked by me. When I was thirsty, you didn’t even give me a drink of water. 43 When I was a stranger, you left me out in the cold without a friend. When I was naked, you rolled your eyes and criticized me. When I was sick, you gave me meaningless medical advice and went on with your life. And when I was in prison, you never visited me.’

44 “Then those thoughtless goats will reply to the king, ‘Lord, we can’t remember you being hungry, thirsty, a stranger, naked, sick, or in prison. How could we have helped you if we didn’t see you?’

45
“Then the king will reply to them, ‘You may not realize it, but this is the truth, when you didn’t act on behalf of the needy, you didn’t act on my behalf.’ 46 “At that, the goats are led away to unending slaughter. But the righteous sheep are led to unending pasture.”