Saturday, March 28, 2020

Ezekiel 37:1-14

The Lord’s power fell over me and while I was overcome his Spirit led me to the middle of a certain valley full of bones where he set me down. 2 The Lord showed me all around and everywhere I went there were bones -- very dry bones -- a gazillion very dry bones strewn about on the valley floor.

3 He asked me, “Man, what are the chances that bones like these could live again?”

I replied, “LORD God, that question is definitely above my pay grade. You’re the only one who knows.”

4-5 Then he told me, “Deliver my message to these bones, and say to them, ‘Dry bones, listen to what the LORD God declares! I am about to put the breath of life in you, and you’ll again come to life. 6 I’ll wrap you with muscles and attach meat, which I’ll cover with skin. Once I put the breath of life in you and you’re alive, you’ll truly know that I am the LORD.’”

7 I declared the words of the LORD over the bones -- saying exactly what he told me to say. And as I spoke, there was an awesome rattling sound as the clanging dry bones came together -- piece by piece, bone by bone. 8 In front of my very eyes the assembled bones gained muscles and meat -- and then skin. But they were not yet alive for they were breathless -- spirit-less figures.

9 Then he said to me, “Man, deliver my message to the winds, ‘The Lord God commands you to blow from every direction and to breathe life into these corpses, so they can live again.’”

10 I delivered the message exactly as he commanded. And as his words were declared wind entered into the bodies. They came to life and stood up at attention -- a huge army.

11 He then said to me, “Man, these bones are a metaphor for all the people of Israel. They’re saying, ‘We’re done for -- dried up bones without hope.’”

12 So, deliver my message to these people saying, “The LORD God declares: ‘I’m freeing you from your graves! I’m raising my people up from the dead and I will return you to the land of Israel. 13 Once I open your graves and raise you from the dead you’ll realize that I am the LORD. 14 I’ll blow my Spirit -- my breath of life into you and you will live! I’ll give you rest on your own land and then you’ll realize that I am the LORD. I promise that I’ll do what I’ve said.’ This is the word of the Lord.”