Friday, April 30, 2021

John 15:1-8

Jesus continued teaching his apprentices, saying, “I am the vital vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He’s into pruning -- lopping off any of my branches that don’t produce fruit. And then he cuts back the fruit-bearing branches -- so that they’re even more fruitful. 3 My teaching has already begun to cut into your life. 4 Just make sure that we remain connected -- stay attached to me and I will remain attached to you. Remember, a branch disconnected from the tree won’t produce fruit by itself. It MUST remain attached to the vine. Likewise, you can’t produce fruit unless you remain connected to me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches connected to the vine. If you remain connected to me -- and my sap flows into you -- then you will produce a lot of fruit. However, without this living connection, you’ll be fruitless. 6 If you become disconnected, you’ll dry up and be tossed onto the burn pile, where you’ll be unable to escape the hot flames. 7 But if you remain attached to me and my teaching is likewise growing out of your life, go ahead and ask me for anything you want and it will happen -- for your wants will mirror my wants. 8 My Father is honored when you produce a lot of fruit. Your bumper crop will validate that you are really my apprentices.