Saturday, May 27, 2017

Genesis 17:17-27

17 As soon as the Lord told him that he and Sarah were going to become parents, Abraham started rolling on the ground laughing -- although we don’t know if it was in delight or disbelief -- perhaps both. He started muttering to himself, how can it be that a 100-year-old man would become a father through a 90-year-old woman? Preposterous! 18 However, when Abraham spoke to God he said, “I’d be more than content if you’d simply accept Ishmael, my son through Hagar, as the heir of the covenant.”

19 But God said, “No! Your wife Sarah will give birth to a son for you. And since you’re so into laughter, and as a reminder of the heavenly way that I’m intervening, I want you to name him Isaac -- ‘the one who laughs.’ I will fulfill my irrevocable covenant through him and his descendants. 20 As for Ishmael, I hear what you’re saying; and I’m not going to throw him under the bus. I’ll definitely remember and bless him, too. It won’t be the covenant blessing, but he’ll have plenty of children and I’ll favor him with a gazillion descendants. Ishmael will even be the father of twelve tribal leaders who will become the foundation of a significant nation in its own right. 21 However, the covenant that I’m establishing will be transmitted through Isaac, who will be born to Sarah about this time next year.”

22 As soon as God finished speaking, he left Abraham, dramatically ascending.

23-27 Abraham acted quickly in response to God’s instructions. He brought together all the males -- including his son Ishmael, all those born in his household, and all those purchased from foreigners -- and on that same day he cut off their foreskins. Both Abraham, who was 99 years old at the time, and his 13 year old son Ishmael were circumcised in this way.