Sunday, May 26, 2019

John 14:22-29

“Boss,” Judas (but not Judas Iscariot) said, “why is it that you are about to reveal who you are to us but not to the world?”

Jesus responded to his apprentice’s question, 23 “They lack the kind of love needed to act on what I’m saying. If anyone truly loves me, that person will become fanatical about following my instructions and my Father and I will move right in to live in that person’s life. That’s how we love! 24 However, whoever doesn’t love me will fail when it comes to acting on my instructions. This is important because what I’m telling you to do doesn’t just come from me. These are the instructions from the Father who sent me.

25 “I‘ve been saying all this to you while I’m still here with you. 26 The Father will send the Holy Spirit, the advocate, to you on my behalf. He is going to be your new teacher, tutoring you in all that you need to know and reminding you of all that I’ve already told you.

27 “So don’t let fear overwhelm or overtake you. I am leaving you with peace. It is the unique one-of-a-kind peace that you won’t find anywhere else in the world. And I am giving it to you.

28 “You’ve heard me say that, ‘I’m going away for awhile but will be returning to you.’ If you love me, you’ll be happy that I’m going to be with the Father, for he is my everything -- my goal, purpose, and being. 29 I’m telling all of this to you before it happens so that when it does happen your faith will kick into high gear.