Thursday, August 1, 2019

Luke 12:13-21

Someone called out from the crowd which had formed around Jesus, saying to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to give me a share of the family inheritance.”

14 Jesus replied, “Friend, how is it that you want to suck me into your family squabble -- positioning me to be the arbitrator between you and your brother?”

15 Then Jesus said to them, “Watch out lest you give greed even a small foothold. After all, the significance of your life is not defined by what you own -- even if you own a lot!”

16 Jesus then told them a story to make his point: “There was once a rich and successful farmer whose land continually produced bumper crops. 17 The fruitfulness of the land created a problem that he noodled on day after day. ‘I have no place to store my harvest!’ 18 Finally, he came up with an idea, ‘If I tear down my barns I can build bigger ones. Then I’ll be able to store ALL my grain and goods. 19 With such capacity I’ll be solid for years to come -- take early retirement -- kick back -- eat, drink, and live the life.’

20 “But then God showed up with a different plan, ‘Fool! Tonight you die. Now who’s going to end up with all the stuff you’ve been saving for your future?’

21 “This is what happens to those who hoard riches to secure their own futures but who live impoverished lives in relation to God and the things which are important to him.”